Medical Center of Lewisville is proud to offer digital mammography at its two locations – the Breast Imaging Center of Excellence at the Medical Center of Lewisville and Flower Mound Imaging on FM2499 at Windsor Dr. This state-of- the-art technology utilizes computers and specially designed detectors to produce a digital image of the breast. Images are displayed on computer monitors in a matter of seconds and can be manipulated by the radiologist to better see abnormalities.
Know Your Risk Factors
Breast cancer is one of the leading causes of death in women today. Routine testing and early detection are essential to prevent death. It is impossible to predict accurately who will develop breast cancer. A family history or prior personal history of breast cancer are known risk factors, yet 75% of all women who develop breast cancer have no family history of the disease. The vast majority of women who develop breast cancer have no identifiable risk factors. Since we don’t know what causes breast cancer or how to prevent it, we must rely on early detection to help cure it.
According to the American Cancer Society:
- One out of every eight women will develop breast cancer.
- Between the ages of 35 and 50, the risk increases. The highest risks are in women over the age of 50.
- The risk also increases if a mother or sister has breast cancer.
A Lump the Size of a Small Pea Consists of Over One Million Cancer Cells
Breast cancer is a progressive disease. When detected and treated early, there is a 93% chance of a
20-year disease free survival rate. Unfortunately, most breast cancers are discovered in the advanced stages of the disease. This results in a 60% patient survival rate of only five years. The likelihood of long term survival diminishes in most advanced stages of breast cancer.
Three Out of Four Women Discover Their Own Breast Cancer
Through educational programs, more and more women are learning the importance of routine self-examinations, what to do if they find a problem, and the necessity of yearly professional breast exams and mammograms.
The American Cancer Society’s guidelines recommend:
- Yearly mammograms starting at age 40 and continuing for as long as a woman is in good health.
- Women at increased risk (e.g., family history, genetic tendency, past breast cancer) should talk with their doctors about the benefits and limitations of starting mammography screening earlier, having additional tests (e.g., Ultrasound or MRI and Stereotactic/ US / MRI Guided biopsy), or having more frequent exams.
Medical Center of Lewisville is proud to be a part of the fight against Breast Cancer and current offers full field digital mammography with Computer Aided Detection (CAD) at its two locations – the Breast Imaging Center at Medical Center of Lewisville and Flower Mound Imaging. Quality is a huge focus for Medical Center of Lewisville, which is why we are accredited by the American College of Radiology (ACR) and the Inter-societal Commission of Accreditation in multiple modalities as well as certified by Medicare and FDA approved.
The Breast Imaging Center at Medical Center of Lewisville is proud to offer digital mammography. This state-of-the-art technology utilizes computers and specially designed image detectors to produce a digital image of the breast. Images can be displayed on computer monitors in a matter of seconds and can be manipulated by the radiologist to better see abnormalities.
Benefits of Digital Mammography:
- Lower radiation dose
- Shorter exam time
- Less repositioning
- Better visualization of calcifications and the skin line
- Better visualization of dense breast tissue for younger patients and women under the age of 50
The Breast Imaging Center at Medical Center of Lewisville is certified as a “Softer Mammogram” provider. We make it a top priority to ensure your mammogram is warm and comfortable. That means we provide a soft foam cushion for each women’s personal use during every mammogram.
Computer Aided Detection (CAD)
CAD technology assists the radiologist in early detection of breast cancer. Your digital mammogram is crosschecked by our CAD system and reviewed by our radiologist before a final interpretation is submitted to your physician.
The Breast Imaging Center at Medical Center of Lewisville also offers biopsy services should the need arise. We offer a full range of biopsy capabilities such as Stereotactic Biopsy, Ultrasound Guided and even MRI Guided biopsy tailored to fit your specific imaging needs.
Education and Support
The professionals at the Breast Imaging Center at Medical Center of Lewisville understand women’s needs and concerns. Experienced female digital mammography specialists recognize the importance of prevention and early detection. Breast imaging services include:
- Comprehensive patient history pertinent to breast cancer diagnosis and treatment
- Low-dose mammography compression technique (minimal discomfort with low-dosage radiation exposure)
- Warm and softer Mammogram with utilization of the MammoPad® (A soft, foam pad that creates a cushion between you and the mammography equipment)
- Computer Aided Detection (A system that digitizes a mammogram to help reduce observational oversights and aids the Radiologists with early detection of breast cancer)
- Ultrasound technique
- Timely reading of exams by board certified, hospital-based radiologists
- Results sent to you and your private physician
- Education about breast care and self-examination techniques
- Private changing area and comfortable modest mammography capes
- Stereotactic Breast Biopsy
- Ultrasound Guided Breast Biopsy
- MRI Guided Breast Biopsy
Contact & Scheduling Information
Since modern women are so busy, we make it easy to schedule an appointment. No more excuses. Call for an appointment today.
- You may schedule by calling 972.420.1049
- Weekend and evening appointments available
- Monday thru Thursday: 7:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Friday: 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Saturday: 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Sunday: Closed
Pre-registration Information and Forms
If you are scheduled to have a mammogram, please print, complete and bring these forms with you to your appointment. When you arrive at Medical Center of Lewisville, you may go directly to Breast Imaging for registration.
- Breast Imaging Registration Package
- Home Medication Reconciliation Form *(Complete only if you are having a Ductogram or Biopsy)*
- Authorization for Release of Protected Health Information *(Complete only if you want pick up your medical records / transfer)*
- Formulario de evaluación de medicamentos de venta sin receta de Servicios de Imágenes *(Complete sólo si usted está teniendo un Ductograma o biopsia)*
- Autorización Para Utilizar Y Divulgar La Información De Salud Protegida *(Complete sólo si desea recoger sus registros médicos / transferencia)*