Reasons for Test
- Changes in the kidneys, bladder, and ureters
- Changes in kidney size or structure
- Kidney stone , cyst, mass, or other obstruction in the kidney
- Stones in the urinary tract
- Changes in the ureters
- Kidneys before doing a renal biopsy , which removes tissue from the kidney for examination
- Blood flow to the kidneys using a Doppler ultrasound
|Urinary System with Stones|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
What to Expect
Prior to Test
- Your doctor may do a physical exam.
- You must have a full bladder for the test. Do not empty your bladder until after the ultrasound.
Description of Test
How Long Will It Take?
Will It Hurt?
Call Your Doctor
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases http://www2.niddk.nih.gov
National Kidney Foundation http://www.kidney.org
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
The Kidney Foundation of Canada http://www.kidney.ab.ca
Imaging of the urinary tract. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse website. Available at: http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/KUDiseases/pubs/imagingut/index.aspx. Updated May 24, 2012. Accessed July 16, 2013.
- Reviewer: Adrienne Carmack, MD
- Review Date: 05/2014 -
- Update Date: 05/28/2014 -